This wikiHow teaches you how ought navigate your computer without using a mouse. You can fulfill this by using the "Mouse Keys" quality at supported Windows computers and total Macs, or you can use a mixture of keyboard shortcuts and the arrow keys ought win around.
1. at Windows
1) attempt using basic keyboard shortcuts.
You can use your computer's arrow keys and the âµ Enter
key ought influence the option about the currently empty window and choose things, respectively, and typing a alphabet while at the desktop or at a Windows app (e.g., row Explorer) will have the option ought jump ought an item starting with that letter. There are a little other basic keyboard shortcuts you can use:
Alt+Tab â¹ â Switch among currently empty windows.
Alt+F4 â near the currently empty app or window.
â Win+D â Minimize total empty windows ought exhibit the desktop.
Ctrl+Esc â empty the begin menu.
â Win+E â empty the row Explorer.
â Win+X â empty the Advanced settings menu.
â Win+I â empty Settings.
â Win+A â empty the operation Center.
2) create definite your computer has a quantity pad.
if you don't dine a grid of quantity keys at the accurate phase of your computer's keyboard (in appendix ought the measure row of quantity keys at the peak of the keyboard), you won't exist able ought use this method.
- You can cabin use the keyboard shortcuts listed at the first step.
3) empty Start
magazine the â Win
key (the key with the Windows logo at it) ought fulfill so. You ought visit the begin window open.
- You can also magazine Ctrl+Esc ought empty the begin window.
4) class at comfort of access. This will search your computer because the comfort of Access Center.
5) choose comfort of Access Center. use the arrow keys ought choose this option at the peak of the begin window if necessary, then magazine âµ Enter. The comfort of Access middle will open.
6) choose create the keyboard easier ought use. It's a connect at the center of the window. magazine the â key until you've selected this option, then magazine âµ Enter ought empty it.
7) choose exhibit mouse Keys. You'll discover this unfortunate connect total the peak of the page. Scroll down ought it using the â key, then magazine âµ Enter.
8) Enable mouse Keys. magazine the â key until the "Turn at mouse Keys" box and queue of text is selected, then magazine the + key.
9) Scroll down ought the "Pointer speed" section. magazine the â key until you've selected the "Top speed" slider at the "Pointer speed" section.
10) adapt the pointer speed.
Once you've adjusted one value, you can magazine the Tab â¹
key ought influence ought the next one:
Top speed â Determines how speedy your pointer moves at its quickest. magazine the â key ought arise the mouse's peak speed, or magazine â ought lower it. This place ought exist quite high (e.g., 75 percent or higher).
Acceleration â Determines how quickly your pointer reaches its maximum speed. magazine the â key ought arise the acceleration, or magazine â ought lower it. This place ought exist at about 50 percent.
11) choose OK. It's at the identical bottom of the window. This will enable mouse Keys and exit the window.
12) use the quantity pad ought influence about the pointer.
You can use the 4
, and 2
keys ought influence the mouse left, up, right, and down, respectively.
- Using the 1, 7, 9, and 3 keys will have the mouse ought influence at a 45Â° angle.
- If your mouse doesn't begin moving, magazine Num (or Fn+Num at some computers), then attempt moving your mouse again.
13) magazine the 5 key ought click.
You'll discover this key at the center of the quantity pad.
- If pressing 5 brings up a drop-down menu, magazine / at the quantity pad ought harm this feature. You ought exist able ought click using 5 after doing so.
14) cause up the right-click menu.
each Windows computer has a "context menu" key that usually resembles a â° token surrounded by a box. With an item (e.g., an icon) selected, pressing this key will hasty the right-click menu ought appear.
- Keep at brood that without first clicking something by using the 5 key, the right-click menu will impartial definition a generic drop-down at the side of the screen.
2. at Mac
1) attempt using basic keyboard shortcuts.
You can use your Mac's arrow keys and the â Return
key ought influence the cursor's option about the currently empty window, besides during you can also use the following shortcuts ought fulfill a little more complicated tasks:
â Command+Q â halt an app (or currently empty window).
â Command+Space â empty the Spotlight search prevent at the center of the screen.
â Command+Tab â¹ â Switch ought the next window.
â Command+N â Opens a new Finder window if you're at the desktop.
Alt+F2, then â Command+L â Opens System Preferences.
Ctrl+F2 â choose the Apple Menu (pressing â Return will empty it).
2) empty the Accessibility Options window.
Depending at your Mac model, use one of the following keyboard shortcuts ought fulfill this:
MacBook with impress Bar â Quickly knock the impress ID button three times.
MacBook without impress Bar â magazine Fn+â¥ Option+â Command+F5 at the same time.
iMac (desktop Mac) â magazine â¥ Option+â Command+F5 at the same time.
3) Enable mouse Keys.
knock the impress ID button three period (MacBook with impress Bar) or magazine â Command+â¥ Option+F5
(all other Macs) ought fulfill so.
- You can also use the â arrow key ought choose the "Enable mouse Keys" box and then magazine the â Return (or Spacebar at some computers) key ought bridle it.
4) desert the Accessibility Options window open.
This will permit you ought harm mouse Keys by using the keyboard shortcut that you used ought enable mouse Keys.
- Unfortunately, you can't class with mouse Keys enabled.
5) influence your mouse cursor around.
Using the U
, and K
keys, you can influence the cursor left, up, right, or down, respectively.
- Pressing the J, 7, 9, or L keys will influence the cursor at a 45Â° side down ought the left, up ought the left, up ought the right, or down ought the right, respectively.
6) Click with the 5 key.
key is essentially the left-click button while you're using mouse Keys.
- You can also include down Control cabin tapping 5 ought feign a right-click.
7) include down the mouse.
Maneuvering the pointer ought recess at an icon and then pressing the M
key will feign a "hold" action, allowing you ought tug the icon under your mouse pointer by using the motion keys.
- This is also helpful while attempting ought activate hold-sensitive menus, such although the Trash menu.
- You can magazine . ought free the hold.