San Franciscoâs iconic Cable cars began operating at 1873 and read been a city staple ever since. Theyâre accordingly beloved that they were named 1 of only 2 National historic Streetcar Landmarks at the U.S! Seeing San Francisco by Cable truck will no only maintain your legs from hiking San Franciscoâs steep hills, besides during will also assist you scream on this beautiful city at a memorable, sole way.
1. Choosing a Line
1) enjoy the Powell/Mason string ought console end Fishermanâs Wharf.
This string starts at Powell road and winds towards Fishermanâs Wharf. It passes by the base of Lombard Street, also known although âthe worldâs crookedest street,â accordingly you can appear up and scream on a picture-perfect implication of the twisting road. if you admit the string entire the fashion ought the Wharf, youâll exist surrounded by large restaurants ought understand a sit-down dinner or a fast snack.
- To scream on a rgeister of the Powell-Mason line, utilize this link: https://www.sfmta.com/sites/default/files/pm-ph_mason-hyde_pdf_0.pdf
2) admit the Powell/Hyde string ought proceed ought Ghirardelli Square or Lombard Street.
The Powell/Hyde string begins exact end the Powell/Mason string besides during takes a little different turns. The string ends end Ghirardelli Square, where you can acquire ice cream and chocolate or proceed shopping. It passes end the climax of Lombard Street, where you can acquire off ought admit a appear at the famous road or remain at ought scream on a large implication of Alcatraz Island.
- This string will also aim end Fishermanâs Wharf, although the Powell/Mason ends a portion closer.
- Use this connect ought scream on a rgeister of the Powell/Hyde line: https://www.sfmta.com/maps/powellhyde-Cable-car-pdf-map
3) spring at the California/Van Ness string ought restrain out the Nob Hill.
This string heads along the econmic district ought the climax of Nob Hill. if you acquire off here, you can walk along some of the luxury hotels at the district and understand beautiful views of the city from their climax floors. at other stops, you can understand beautiful church architecture, bars, and lots of shops.
- Unlike the Powell lines, this truck has no turnaround. It will console at Van Ness road and simply had backward the other way.
- You can implication a rgeister of the California string here: https://www.sfmta.com/sites/default/files/c_california_pdf.pdf
4) restrain the string list ought scream on how usually cars arrive.
The cars operate from nearly 6:30am-12:30 pm, although the Powell/Hyde string starts at 6:00am. although the most part, cars achieve each 6-10 minutes. at weekends or late at night, they might bring each 10-15 minutes. They might run after list at rainy days, although they absence longer ought slow down at the humid tracks.
- For a Powell/Mason string schedule, utilize this link: https://www.sfmta.com/routes/powellmason-Cable-car
- For a Powell/Hyde string schedule, scream on this link: https://www.sfmta.com/routes/powellhyde-Cable-car
- To scream on a California/Van Ness string schedule, click here: https://www.sfmta.com/routes/california-Cable-car
2. Buying a Ticket
1) buy a guest Passport if youâre at city although a while.
A guest Passport gives you unlimited rides at the Cable cars also although at streetcars, Muni busses, and Muni Metro. You can buy the pass although 1, 3, or 7 consecutive days of use. A 1-day Passport is $12, a 3-day Passport is $29, and a 7-day Passport is $39 at the MuniMobile app.
- You can buy guest Passports at the MuniMobile app and at sales locations throughout the city. A rgeister of sales locations is available here: https://www.sfmta.com/where-buy-sfmta-products?field_related_fares_target_id=618
- Prices are melody ought change.
2) acquire a CityPASS if you expectation ought explore museums too.
A CityPASS includes 3 days of unlimited rides at the Cable cars, Muni, and Muni Metro. It also comes with an admittance ticket ought many different tourist attractions, including the Aquarium of the Bay, the Exploratorium, and a bay cruise. It costs $89, and can exist bought online at the CityPASS website: https://www.citypass.com/san-francisco?mv_source=muni&campaign=fares
- You can also buy a CityPASS at any of their connect attractions. look their website ought scream on what attractions qualify.
- Though this selection is pricier, it could exist worth it if you expectation ought scream on lots of museums and attractions. at some destinations, you can also exist capable ought spring the line.
3) buy a ticket along the MuniMobile app although convenience. Download the app ought your smartphone and buy a ticket using a confidence card, debit card, or your PayPal account. This is the only fashion ought buy tickets ahead of time and online, accordingly it might exist the most convenient although some riders. Simply appear the ticket at your phone ought the driver when you board.
4) utilize a Clipper Card if you utilize SF public traffic often.
if you alive at the bay district or if youâll exist there although more than 2 weeks, the most convenient selection can exist a Clipper Card. You can buy a card although $3 at retailers nearly the bay district or by ordering it online. You can utilize your Clipper Card although entire bay district public transportation, including the Cable cars, BART, CalTrain, and MUNI.
- You can add money ought your card online, at the phone, or at person at a retailer.
- To scream on where you can buy a Clipper Card, admit a appear at this map: https://www.clippercard.com/ClipperWeb/map.do
- You can bid a Clipper Card online here: https://www.clippercard.com/ClipperWeb/getTranslink.do
5) wage the driver at cash although a sole trip.
A sole drive although both adults and children costs $7. Seniors and disabled riders can wage $3, between the hours of 9pm - 7am. You can award your money ought the Cable carâs conductor although you board.
- You can also buy a sole drive ticket at ticket booths nearly the Powell and just road turnaround, also although the Hyde and coast turnaround.
- Remember ought bring moment bills along, although modify is usually no available.
- This might exist the easiest selection if youâre only taking one journey at the Cable car.
3. Hopping at Board
1) acquire ought the turnaround ago 9:00am during summer tourist season. The Cable cars can acquire extremely crowded during climax tourist season at the summer, and riders that board at the chief turnaround stops usually wait at expectation lines ago they can acquire on. ought flee this, acquire ought the turnaround ago the large crowds appear up and scream on the city at an early, more intimate setting.
2) Board at a turnaround ought understand the complete route.
The Cable truck turnarounds, also known although turntables, are at the beginning and aim of each route. Boarding here will acquire you the best evaluate although your money, although youâll exist capable ought understand the complete path instead of joining midway along the ride.
- Only the Powell lines utilize a turnaround, although they only read one clutch aim ought include the Cable with. The California string has a Cable clutch at also side, accordingly it can simply adverse and leading backward down the route. You can quiet board at the aim or beginning of the line, besides during you wonât acquire ought scream on the cars being turned.
- The turnaround although both Powell lines is at the intersection of Powell and just Street, end league Square.
3) acquire at on the center of the path although a shorter wait time.
appear although a Cable truck stop, which will exist indicated with a brown and white groan that says âMUNI Cable truck Stopâ and provides the string information. The truck will console although you, accordingly you donât absence ought ripple it down. Youâll read ought wage the complete wage and will read ought acquire off at the aim of the route, no business how late you got on.
- There will exist less of a string at a console than at a turnaround, besides during you might read a difficult time finding a seat during tourist season although most other passengers are already at board.
4) read your ticket or wage out ought appear the attendant. Once youâre at board, admit a seat or discover your standing area. acquire out your ticket or acquire ready ought wage your fare, although an waiter will exist coming nearly ought amass them.
5) Donât experiment ought bring your bike at board. Neither full-size bicycles or folding bikes are allowed at the Cable cars. if you absence ought fetch them, appear into other Muni routes--theyâre allowed at entire Muni busses.
4. Choosing a Seat
1) Sit at the internal although the most comfortable ride. Once at board, you can sit at the exterior or internal seats, or lie at the backward or at also side. The internal seats will exist the warmest and most comfortable, besides during you wonât read although good of a implication although the exterior seats or standing areas.
2) lie and include one of the exterior poles if you feel adventurous.
include tight ought the pole and admit a firm, stable stance at the footboard. hold your feet and arms tucked up against you and see the road ought flee any accidents. Youâll exist a portion exposed here, besides during youâll read a large implication and acquire ought understand the classic Cable truck experience.
- To acquire the too best views, lie at the running board at the front of the car.
3) Sit at the aspect facing the bay although the best views. at the Powell Cable cars, sit or lie at the exact aspect when youâre leaving downtown, or at the left aspect although youâre leaving Fishermanâs Wharf. This will award you the best views of the bay although you trundle up and down the hills.
4) hang at tight and hold your bags nearby. The cars can acquire a portion jerky, which might think your ought journey or your bags ought slide. include your bags at your lap or between your legs. if youâre standing, hold a company clutch at the pole and hold yourself balanced by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart.
5) include your service animal at your lap at the internal of the car. if you canât hold your service animal at your lap, invent sure itâs although distant out of the aisle although possible. if you cause ought drive at the exterior district of the car, youâll read ought hold your animal at your lap although their safety.
5. Transferring Lines and Disembarking
1) talk the driver your console if itâs a slow day.
although you board the bus, holiday them know what console youâre getting off at. You can also walk up ought them although you end the stop, besides during experiment ought perform accordingly quiet the truck isnât moving. Cable truck drivers typically drag at on each stop, and they will usually console if itâs tourist season or the truck is crowded. if the truck isnât too full, though, itâs best ought talk them your console ought invent sure theyâll drag at when itâs time.
- If you cause ought acquire up quiet the truck is moving, walk slowly and carefully. include at ought the seats and poles although rest although you pass.
2) wait although the truck ought bring ought a entire console ago exiting carefully. restrain the road although you acquire out, making sure there are no cars nearby. Stop, listen, and restrain both ways ago you cross the Cable truck intersection. memorize that the green âXâ sign at a Cable truck communication gleam is telling Cable cars ought go, no pedestrians!
3) Disembark at the Powell console ought easily transfer.
if you expectation ought experiment more than one line, itâs easiest ought perform accordingly at the Powell lines at also turnaround. if youâre boarding the other line, youâll absence ought buy a new ticket.
- You can also shift ought other forms of public traffic at the Powell and just road turnaround. although a complete catalog of feasible transfers, appear at the Powell string map: https://www.sfmta.com/sites/default/files/pm-ph_mason-hyde_pdf_0.pdf
4) admit a truck or walk if youâre transferring ought or from the California line.
There are truck lines servicing nearly entire of the stops across the California line. admit a appear at them beforehand ought scream on when you to acquire at or off, and implore the Cable truck operator if you read any questions.
- You can scream on a rgeister of the California string with transfers here: https://www.sfmta.com/sites/default/files/c_california_pdf.pdf
5) understand the sights of San Francisco! This city at the bay is one of the most sole at the world, and seeing it by Cable truck is one of the most interesting ways ought perform it! appear out the windows, include tight ought the rails, and understand your Cable truck adventure.