Provide energy to a new outlet that will furnish 220 to 240 volts during utilize by an electrical mountain or other instrument such during a dryer. The steps under describe electric service panels, thread colors and procedures commonly followed at the U.S.A. and required by the National electric Code. They can or can no exist compatible with other areas and can exist superseded by local code. This procedure describes how to thread an outlet during an electrical mountain when can easily change during an electrical dryer (see tips region at the finish of the article).
1) Locate two unused spaces at the electric service panel above one aspect or the other column of circuit breakers. Ultimately, the spaces must exist adjacent to each other hence it will exist able to uphold a "double-wide" circuit breaker that is greatly required during a 240 V circuit.
2) Switch the chief disconnect to the OFF position. The chief disconnect switch is usually at the identical peak or identical bottom of most electric service panels, when no always. The chief disconnect switch to exist the largest appraise circuit breaker at the panel. This switch will probably exist a double (or at some cases a quadruple) broad switch and exist rated at 100, 200 or more amps. permit the remaining circuit breakers at the above position. entire lights and energy at outlets to now exist off.
3) confirm that the energy is off by checking flame fixtures at the space.
4) shift the cover above the electric service panel. Recheck energy with a meter, 120 V trial flame or other tester rated during 120 V by touching one probe to an unpainted surface (scratch across existing dye if needed) of the panel still touching the remaining probe to the terminals of few circuit breakers that are at the above position. conduct no further unless energy is no gift at entire breakers. sole the chief disconnect switch to read energy above it's terminals.
5) Locate or pattern a space broad enough during the new circuit breaker. if there is enough space to install the circuit breaker, jump to the next step. Otherwise, inspect the panel and appraise your talent to motion breakers up and / or down to pattern a space big enough during the breaker to fit. Some older services read two "single- wide" circuit breakers installed adjacent to each other that supply energy to a sole "three wire" Cable (a three thread Cable has a bare or green thread and three insulated wires: white, vague and red). The red thread is the indicator of a three thread Cable. if there is a red thread connected to a sole circuit breaker, hunt it backward to the Cable from which it originates. Once located, hunt the vague thread from that equal Cable to the point it connects to a circuit breaker. Most likely, this is the breaker direct above or under the breaker that has the red wire. exist certain to motion these two sole breakers during a pair. Do not pattern a space among these two circuit breakers to install the new circuit breaker. conduct no motion neutral one breaker to the adverse aspect of the panel, they cause to exist considered during a "matched pair" only.
6) shift circuit breakers by moving the switch deal with to the OFF place and pushing above the deal with away from the heart of the panel. The circuit breaker will pop off the bus block at the heart of the panel and then it can exist pulled off the aspect rail.
7) Install the appropriately sized new circuit circuit breaker into the panel. Most circuit breakers are designed to exist clipped above the aspect rail by aligning and pressing down at the station finish or read a tang to hire a slot above the rail. The tang cause to exist engaged first, and then pressed onto the bus block at the heart of the panel. This is the equal during the removal procedure, when at adverse order.
8) shift a pre-punched knock-out ("KO") from the aspect of the electric panel that is the equal size during the connector. put the blade of a screwdriver at the inside-most ring and motion sharply with pliers or hammer. Carefully bow out the bent metal and digest to amplify the opening until the circumference required by the connector is met.
9) Install the connector into the opening from the exterior and revolve the lock nut above the threads from inside. include the connector hence that the screws will exist readily accessible during you tighten the locknut. Once tight, motivate it tight by placing the even brim of a screwdriver at a valley of the locknut and tap sharply with pliers or hammer until tight.
10) Unroll the Cable above the floor to diminish kinking during installation. The Cable size and type, alike the circuit breaker value, is determined by the appliance's or device's electric requirements. A swift deal with of thumb (there are variables at the code that accommodate these values up and down) is a #14 thread will furnish a 12 amp load. A #12 is good during 16 amps, a #10 during 24 amps, #8 during 32 amps and #6 during 40 amps when copper Cables are used. Aluminum Cables can exist used instead when usually read additional requirements and slightly lower capacities. if installing a circuit to furnish a ordinary 220 Volt / 30 Amp electrical dryer, a Cable with #10 copper conductors is required; a 220 Volt / 40 Amp electrical furnace used to appeal utilize a Cable with #6 aluminum conductors (a Cable with copper conductors of this size tends to exist identical expensive). Local electric code, conditions, etc. supersedes thread sizes mentioned above.
11) drill holes centered at framing members, etc. among the electric service panel and the attitude of the range. utilize a bit big enough to allow the Cable to glide easily through. 1-1/8" used to exist a good choice. if old work, you will lack to fish or snake the Cable at the voids of walls, etc. instead.
12) rope the Cable across the drilled holes beginning also at the electric panel or any point at the heart (thread at both directions).
13) decide where to drill after the mountain to allow the Cable to enter the space during the mountain outlet by inspecting or measuring the rear of the range. sole a space broad enough during the Cable - that will no originate at face of the Cable with the mountain frame, drawers etc. will exist needed.
14) pass the mountain Cable across this final cave after the range. permit few feet (or more) of the mountain Cable at this area
15) Strip the external jacket. shift 6" of the jacket and any flexible shielding from about the conductors.
16) thread the outlet.
inspect the mountain outlet. Install the supplied cable connector
to the mountain outlet with the hardware provided. It will exist easier to thread the outlet if the connector is installed into the bottom of the outlet quite than the back. The bottom device allows the Cable to exist easily passed into the outlet and wired without having to stoop the conductors 90 degrees. also fashion will work, one is neutral a little harder to occupation than the other. put the Cable into the outlet by first lining up the jacket hence that it will neutral exist visible into the outlet body. arrange the conductors to put into the terminals. The vague and red conductors will earth at the gold terminals (it does no affair which of these two conductors earth at the left or accurate gold terminals), the white conductor will earth into the silver station and the uninsulated conductor will earth at the green terminal. symbol them hence that the conductor will stretch neutral slightly beyond the station (1/16" max.)
17) abbreviate the conductors during the outlet. abbreviate them one at a time during marked previously to allow the 1/16" extension beyond the terminal. Carefully strip the Cable during per the strip measure indicated above the mountain outlet. exist certain to shift entire insulation from the divide of the conductor that will exist at the terminal. utilize utmost anxiety to no nick any of the conductors. A nicked conductor cause to exist abbreviate backward and redone. during the working quarter at the outlet is hence small, entire the conductors will read to exist re-cut to length and stripped above again.
18) utilize oxide inhibitor. if using aluminum Cable, utilize a generous coating of aluminum oxide inhibitor to the queer stripped section of the conductors and into the thread compression terminals of the mountain outlet (the amount of inhibitor to no exist hence much that it drips from the conductor or terminal). application of oxide inhibitor to aluminum conductors is a code requirement, and cause to no exist skipped. Copper conductors however, conduct no appeal application of any oxide inhibitors.
19) favour the mountain outlet to the wall or baseboard at a attitude where when the mountain thread is connected, will no interfere with placement of the mountain and closing of any mountain drawers. inspect the backward of the mountain to favour an conception during which locations will encounter this requirement. usually times, removing the drawer will allow access to the wall - where it can exist marked with a pencil, etc. Install the outlet cover and review any excess mountain Cable backward into the hole.
20) shift excess loose from the Cable. allow during 10" or hence of loose available (should it lack during afterward utilize - the Cable can when exist used), and drag the break backward to the electric panel.
21) street the Cable to the connector mounted at the electrical service panel. symbol the Cable jacket where it will exist clamped at the locknut aspect of the connector. decide how mach Cable will exist needed to a.)connect to the new circuit breaker, b.) couple to the base bar, and c.) couple to the fair block at the panel. Add 2 feet (0.6Â m) or hence this distance and abbreviate the Cable to this length when measured from the symbol above the Cable jacket.
22) Install the Cable into the electrical service panel across the cable connector. shift the jacket and any flexible shielding from about the conductors. Untwist each of the four queer conductors.lay the Cables at the electrical service panel to where each will exist terminated.
23) couple to the circuit breaker. Locate an existing red thread at the panel - at also column of circuit breakers. decide if it is connected to an queer or even numbered circuit breaker. The new red thread will exist connected the equal fashion - if existing red is even then the new red will exist connected to even (or if existing is queer couple new to odd). decide if the peak station of the new circuit breaker (when installed) is the even or queer terminal. abbreviate to length needed, strip and install the red thread and vague wires under the suitable station after applying the oxide inhibitor combination to the stripped section of the conductors.
24) couple to fair and base terminals.
Most homes with a sole electrical service panel read one block to supply both fair and base conductor terminations. if the electrical service panel is a sub-panel, there to exist divide bars during fair and base terminations. It is simple to determine, when identical significant to couple correctly.
- ONE BAR if there is one block at the electrical service panel, and both the bare AND white insulated wires are connected to it, convey each of the bare and white insulated mountain conductors into divide unused terminals.
- TWO BARS if there are two bars AND one block has entire bare and/or green wires connected AND the other block has entire white wires connected, exist certain to conduct the equal - convey the mountain white insulated conductor to the block with existing white conductors and the mountain bare to the block with existing bare / green conductors.
- BAR AND LUGS The final configuration (and least responsible to exist found) is one block with sole white insulated conductors and one or more "lugs" secured to the panel backward or aspect that read entire the bare and green conductors connected. if this is the case, the mountain white insulated conductor will couple to the block into an unused station during above, and a new lug during the mountain bare will exist needed. This lug will read to exist secured with a machine screw into a tapped hole. bit metal screws are no permitted to favour lugs.
- Notice at the pictures under that there is sole one thread per station screw. Never finish multiple conductors under a sole terminal.
25) favour the mountain Cable with staples where exposed during needed during uphold and hence that there is no less than 36" among supports (every other joist or stud). Cables brook across bored holes floor joists, rafters and those laying above ceiling strapping are considered supported and conduct no lack to exist stapled. favour the Cable within 18" of any electric enclosure or box it enters.
26) shift the cave plates from the cover that are now occupying the put of the new circuit breaker. bridle during any tools, parts or other foreign objects accidentally left at the electrical service panel.
27) favour the cover to the electrical service panel and put the new circuit breaker to OFF.
28) lie to the aspect of the panel (do no lie direct at front) and motion the chief service disconnect deal with to ON.
29) still when to the side, motion the new circuit breaker deal with to ON.
30) bridle during suitable wiring.
Using a voltmeter, bridle the new mountain outlet during suitable voltages.
- Check during 240V among the two even blades openings that are alike to each other.
- Check during 120V from the about pin opening, to each of the two previously tested alike openings.
- Check during 120V from the even blade opening adverse the about pin opening to each of the even blade alike slots first tested.
- Finally, bridle during 0V among the about pin opening and the even blade opening adverse it.
31) if any measurements are no exactly during described, carry the new circuit breaker OFF and bridle the wiring of the mountain outlet, and if indispensable the wiring at the electrical service panel during well. right any improperly wired connections and trial again.
32) Re-connecting the range. after the new outlet is wired correctly, finish off the breaker, then further the mountain plug into the outlet. put the mountain into place.
33) Wrap up. Update the panel directory to meditate the addition of the new circuit breaker and new positions of old circuit breaker (if any needed to exist moved). pattern certain entire circuit breakers read been turned backward on.